Monday, September 2, 2013

Paleo Lasagna

Hey guys! I'm going to start posting recipes here on occasion too. Last night, my dad made tortillas and loved them. We had the idea to layer them into a lasagna, so we decided to try that today!

Ingredients:

  • 6 eggs
  • 3 teaspoon melted ghee (sub: melted coconut oil)
  • 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup arrowroot powder
  • 3 teaspoon coconut flour
  • 3 pinches of salt
  • 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
  • Tomato sauce
  • Cheese of choice
  • Parmesan if desired
First, you'll have to make the tortilla recipe here: Simple Paleo Tortillas. The ingredients in the link are for one batch. Above are for the three you'll need for the lasagna.

We were able to make five tortillas per batch and made three batches.

After that, while you let the tortillas cool, you'll cook up your meat. If there are two people working together, one can cook meat and one can cook tortillas! We used ground beef, but ground turkey works too.

Once you have the meat cooked and the tortillas mostly cooled, grease the pan and start layering. We did three layers of noodles with meat and sauce in each one. On top, we layered mozzarella. I know the cheese isn't really Paleo, so switch it up with goat cheese or no cheese!

We put it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

It was delicious!!

Pictures of the process are below.



Those aren't my hands. That's my dad whisking the batter. I don't have man hands.


The tortillas and the meat
We cut three in half, bordered the outside, and then put two in the center. Each layer looked like this.
We layered the meat on top of the noodles and spread it out.
On top of the meat, we put some tomato sauce. 
More shells. We put meat and sauce on top of this as well.
The final layer only had sauce on top before we added the cheese.
Tons and tons of mozzarella!
My dad holding the dish before we cooked it. Here, we were just hoping that it would taste alright.
After
We loved it! Even my super picky sister ate it. You could also add vegetables to it if you wanted. I suggested asparagus, but my family said no.

2 comments:

  1. New to paleo, but doesn't cheese ruin the paleo effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people consider cheese a gray area. I went without it for a few months and then tried it a few times with no adverse effects, so it's safe for me to say I can have cheese. Some people try it again to find that it makes them feel bad, so they avoid it. Since you're new to Paleo, I'd say don't have cheese for a while and then try it again to see what happens.

      Here's a link that explains it better than I can. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cheese-unhealthy/#axzz2eWqnrXG8

      Delete